This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK,
    3 snips from your map5, If you're pulling 3 and more deg consistently you have issues. Here, you are...... Over 20 psi on 1 step plugs isn't going to last. That's why your Map2 looks the way it does now. The log isn't the worst but if you want the car to be happy, get those 2 steps in and send another log. The car WILL be faster do to increased timing and you will have a larger window for variances in octane. I've always agreed with Terry (who can't) when he says never tune for zero deviations, but at some point you have to support the boost with the right hardware.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Simple solution: Sunoco GT-260+ which is 13% E85 mixed with 100 octane unleaded.

Boostane made less power again in testing vs fuels with Ethanol mixed to boost octane because those fuels are oxygenated by the Ethanol.

The cooling effect lessens the need for colder plugs. Your timing problems would go away.

I run E20 every fill up. 1% observed loss in fuel economy. 450 miles to empty
      Last edited by Djfourmonie; 07-30-2021, 03:28 AM.
      2020 Kia Forte GT
      6 Speed Manual
      JB4+Bluetooth Connect
      Burger Motorsports Water Methanol (45/55 mix)
      Rev9 Coilovers Corner Balanced & Aligned

[email protected] Map 3
      [email protected]
      Map 7, E30+WMI, Hoosier Drag Radials
      E85 Station Locator (US Only)

Comment

• Top end log after EWG connectors

I was in Mexico long enough to get a couple upper end pulls. For you here who can read the matrix (logs), Is it better to have a longer log with a little before and after info? Or just capture the target foot mash to foot lift?

Thanks for all the help
        Attached Files
        19gt2 ARKdp MBRPcb BMSic APcai jb4w/fuel-ewg hks40mil.23

Comment

• Originally posted by Djfourmonie View Post
          Simple solution: Sunoco GT-260+ which is 13% E85 mixed with 100 octane unleaded.

Boostane made less power again in testing vs fuels with Ethanol mixed to boost octane because those fuels are oxygenated by the Ethanol.

The cooling effect lessens the need for colder plugs. Your timing problems would go away.

I run E20 every fill up. 1% observed loss in fuel economy. 450 miles to empty
          I’ll go back to adding a few gallons of E85 and see how it tracks. What sucks is road trips, it’s hard to find E85.

I’m not a big fan of the Boostane **** at all. I figured I’d get a couple cans and try. But I do have a couple thing going against me. One I am at 5100’ elevation and ambient temps are close to 100*.

Comment

• Map 2 looks clean
            Originally posted by Stingerbob19 View Post
            I was in Mexico long enough to get a couple upper end pulls. For you here who can read the matrix (logs), Is it better to have a longer log with a little before and after info? Or just capture the target foot mash to foot lift?

Thanks for all the help
            Attached Files

Comment

• Add me to the list of owners that get a CEL with the EWG wires hooked up. I suspect my eprom is the old version because I got my JB4 back in 2018. I installed some waterproof wire connectors so I could dead head the EWG wires while leaving them in place and put the mating connector on the wires going to the JB4. Now I can have them installed or bypassed with ease. To clear the CEL I had to unplug the ODBII connector and both of the sensors on the engine, I left the fuel wires plugged in and it got rid of the CEL on next start up. I then plugged everything back in except the EWG wires and still no CEL, everything working as it should. Will get the new chip and report back.

Received the new chip, replaced and connected my EWG wires up again. No CEL, everything appears to be working great. I had to buy a cheap ODBII dongle off Amazon to delete the codes, the JB4 will not do it. Now I need to figure out what I'm supposed to do with the phone app to take full advantage of them. Anyone have any suggestions?
              Last edited by St1nger Guy; 08-17-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Log with EWG connectors.

P21_M2_R3_210817_1201.csv

I have intakes ,******* down *****, Hks plugs, jb4 with fuel wires and EWG connectors. Ando said my trims are maxing out wondering what I can change. I can do some other pulls and take logs of those if needed. Running 93 octane on map2. EWG connectors are at the settings that are the default.

Comment

• None of these pulls you were at WOT. Can't asses a log with 70% or less
                  Please do a 3rd 4th gear wot pull, pedal to the floor. Or a slow rolling start to about 100 or 4th gear

Comment

• Inflation finally caught up to us on these and we had to raise the price to $100 per pair. Still well worth it.
                    Burger Motorsports
                    Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

• UGH I should have ordered them last week. Actually had a set LONG when you 1st released them but never installed them worried about the CEL issues, so I sold them to a local.

Comment

• Terry,

Can you check this log? I just got the EWG wired in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by djerickd View Post
                          Terry,

Can you check this log? I just got the EWG wired in.
                          Looks pretty good to me.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
                          Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! View Post
                            Looks pretty good to me.
                            Thanks Steve, shoild I perhaps bump the FF up from 50 to 60 (or more), I thought saw earlier in the thread others were testing higher and higher values. Just wondering..

Comment

• No need...boost is on target.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
                              Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Comment

• Hello,
                                I just got my JB4 and EWG wires installed yesterday. I went very slow, made sure the right pins are in the right place and everything is solidly connected as directed.

Before when WOT i could clearly hear my intakes making a loud sucking noise the entire time. Now a few seconds into WOT the sucking noise stops (I assume the gates are opening?). The car isn't making more than 4lbs of boost and threw a CEL with code 25A0.

If i go in the app and disable the EWG control everything runs fine and strong.

Today just to be sure I removed everything double checked it all seated well and was in the correct place. Issue persists.

The only odd thing i can think of is I do have connector 1 going to the drive's side and C2 going to the passenger's side, unlike the install example. (Noticed it after i locked in the pins.)

Current Mods:
                                Mishimoto FMIC
                                Mishimoto Catch can
                                JT Intakes
                                Velocitech Scoops
                                HKS Plugs
                                Break snip

Logs:
                                First log, first 1/2 EWG enabled 2nd 1/2 EWG disabled
                                Attached Files
                                Current Mods:
                                Mishimoto FMIC
                                Mishimoto Catch can
                                JT Intakes
                                Velocitech Scoops
                                HKS Plugs
                                Break snip

Comment

• Something is clearly wrong. Revert EWG connectors to factory first and do a log on map0 and map1 to confirm boost comes back up to normal.
                                  Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
                                    First order of business is those cars with modified exhaust that over boost, and of course large turbo cars who need more WGDC.

Is this only on exhaust or with the dowpipes?

Comment

• Today I installed the EWG wires into my G70. Do I just start getting logs and posting them here for fine tuning?
                                      2020 G70 3.3TT AWD
                                      HKS M45IL Plugs

Comment

• If you need help can email in logs. These days they are install and enjoy for the most part.
                                        Burger Motorsports

Comment

• Just installed the EWG wires installed today. Did a few pulls on Map 2. I set the adjustments to what was recommended in the first post and so far everything is working fine. The butt dyno says it pulls harder in gears 1-3 but I'll try this out when I go to the track in a few days.

I've attached a log and it looks like I've got enough fuel but I'm getting some timing being pulled in ign4. Not sure if this is a fuel trim issue that the ECU needs a few more pulls to figure out or a quality of fuel issue.

Not sure how to read the two boost numbers to see if there needs to be any further adjustment to help the JB4 reach its target boost (14psi).

Mods-

450hp kit
                                          EWG wires
                                          MBRP *** back
                                          93-pump gas (florida)
                                          Map 2
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenGSX View Post
                                            Just installed the EWG wires installed today. Did a few pulls on Map 2. I set the adjustments to what was recommended in the first post and so far everything is working fine. The butt dyno says it pulls harder in gears 1-3 but I'll try this out when I go to the track in a few days.

I've attached a log and it looks like I've got enough fuel but I'm getting some timing being pulled in ign4. Not sure if this is a fuel trim issue that the ECU needs a few more pulls to figure out or a quality of fuel issue.

Not sure how to read the two boost numbers to see if there needs to be any further adjustment to help the JB4 reach its target boost (14psi).

Mods-

450hp kit
                                            EWG wires
                                            MBRP *** back
                                            93-pump gas (florida)
                                            Map 2
                                            Looks fine to me! It would be uncommon not to have any timing corrections on pump fuel.
                                            Burger Motorsports

Comment

• What would be the difference between the fuel control lines and the EWG add ons? Do they work on different aspects of the tune, or do they kinda work along the same lines?

Comment

• Originally posted by DR.JJ View Post
                                                What would be the difference between the fuel control lines and the EWG add ons? Do they work on different aspects of the tune, or do they kinda work along the same lines?

Stinger 3.3L EWG Connectors - JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

Fuel Wires

These add on wires attach to the JB4 harness and your vehicles sensors to give the JB4 the ability to directly change the air/fuel ratio. The factory tuning runs in the 10:1 range and leaning that out to 11.5:1 has proven to be worth significant power at higher engine speed. Note these are preinstalled on the JB4 harness now so only need to be attached to the o2 sensor signal wire to enable using the included posi-taps or optional harness adapters.

Comment

• Originally posted by AWDGT2 View Post
                                                  Stinger 3.3L EWG Connectors - JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

Fuel Wires

These add on wires attach to the JB4 harness and your vehicles sensors to give the JB4 the ability to directly change the air/fuel ratio. The factory tuning runs in the 10:1 range and leaning that out to 11.5:1 has proven to be worth significant power at higher engine speed. Note these are preinstalled on the JB4 harness now so only need to be attached to the o2 sensor signal wire to enable using the included posi-taps or optional harness adapters.
                                                  If I have only a JB4, kn filters, deleted muff, 93oct, is it best to do one over the over, or just do both fuel control lines and EWG, since its easy? Oh yea, another question: Front sway bar or both? I hate the roll.

Comment

• I thinking I'm doing something wrong. I lowered my bias duty and ff. Now my overboost is even worse. Am I supposed to be adjusting both? Going to reset my values and try again.

Did 40 across rpm for bias duty and ff at 40.

Comment

• You're not supposed to adjust duty bias, and only supposed to lower FF in increments of 5.

I'd need to see the log myself for any tuning advice.
                                                      Burger Motorsports

Comment

• Thanks Terry, once I get this squared away it's back to my traction issue which you did mention to try 6-3-0 boost by gear. Than it's time to activate my wmi.

Comment

• Yes, boost by gear does wonders for RWD traction! Our diff brace helps too.
                                                          Burger Motorsports

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
                                                            You're not supposed to adjust duty bias, and only supposed to lower FF in increments of 5.

I'd need to see the log myself for any tuning advice.
                                                            I had to go all the way down to 20 FF. Is this normal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Posjr408 View Post
                                                              I had to go all the way down to 20 FF. Is this normal?
                                                              No, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Most over boost situations are resolved at FF = 40.
                                                              Burger Motorsports

Comment

• How do you know you're overboosting? Is it by simply looking at the logs or when the JB4 triggers a safety?

Comment

• Originally posted by Baluchitherium4 View Post
                                                                  How do you know you're overboosting? Is it by simply looking at the logs or when the JB4 triggers a safety?
                                                                  Car goes into limp mode. I get no codes and my log shows me hitting 20-21psi.

Comment

• Quick example of using the JB4 to manage boost targeting and specifically "over boosting" that will often lead to a limp mode and/or p0049 fault code. Note this only applies to those with EWG connectors installed. If you don't have JB4 EWG connectors installed, none of these settings will do anything. So add EWG if you need to fix an over boost or other boost targeting issue.

The JB4 is running what we refer to as integrated wastegate control on the 3.3L platform, which means the ECU is doing the heavy lifting on boost control with the JB4 dynamically adding or subtracting from the wastegate position to fine tune it. The JB4 controls the wastegates through a PID controller.

WGDC represents the JB4 offset to the wastegate position, which is scaled roughly 0-100 in JB4 logs = -15% to +15% dutycycle. A value of 50 in JB4 logs means no offset at all. Wastegate position refers to the position of the flapper in the turbocharger turbine (exhaust side wheel) which is used to control how fast the turbocharger is spinning.

FFPID (FF) in JB4 logs represents the "base" offset applied (feed forward), which is calculated based on internal JB4 mappings and user tweaked using duty bias by RPM and FF globally. Default values for duty bias are 50 across the board, and default for FF user adjustable is 50 across the board.

PID Gain represents the gain portion of the PID control loop that governs the WGDC output, with ECU_PSI being the process variable and DME_BT being the set point. ECU_PSI is the boost signal sent back to the ECU, DME_BT is the modeled boost target. This basically governs how far above or below FF WGDC is allowed to roam. The larger the number the more WGDC can diverge from FF. The default setting is 20 and generally doesn't need to be changed.

When ECU_PSI goes above DME_BT as have an "over boost" situation which the JB4 reacts to by lowering WGDC to lower boost. When ECU_PSI is below DME_BT we have an "under boost" situation which the JB4 reacts to by raising WGDC to increase boost. It can only raise or lower WGDC a certain amount above or below FF as set by PID gain.

I left a lot of the details out above but wanted to give a little background for those familiar with tuning and PID control specifically as to what is going on behind the scenes.

This is the important part: The one user adjustable FF is setup as a global scaling and can be raised or lowered by the user to scale the entire boost targeting algorithm. So generally speaking if you're over boosting lower FF. If you're under boosting raise FF. We've designed the system so that some under boost is desirable. We can get in to why that is in another post down the road.

Here is a customer log from a car running modified exhaust. He started with FF = 60 (higher than default). Notice WGDC is close to 90, meaning the JB4 is adding a lot of WGDC. And predictably boost is way over target, triggering a limp mode. Note boost was not high enough to trigger a JB4 safety map as he set his JB4 safety system at 24psi.

In the second log that same customer lowered FF to 40, which brought the JB4 down to a neutral level of WGDC, around 50, and this resolved his over boosting problem all together. Just with that one simple JB4 setting change.

There is a lot more complexity to the system but TLDR: If you're over boosting make sure JB4 EWG connectors are installed and lower FF until you stop over boosting. Some customers need to go down to 35, 30, and even 20. If you get to 20 and its still happening then probably something else is wrong and at that point contact me with a log of the issue so I can help you further.
                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                    Burger Motorsports

Comment

• Another EWG example, both logs running map2. One with FF = 50, another FF = 40. Note was not enough over boosting to trigger a code or issue but you can see the impact FF changes with no other changes.
                                                                      Attached Files
                                                                      Burger Motorsports

Comment

• I see a slight increase in overall timing too good stuff

Comment

• Hey I have an odd scenerio. so I have a fully moded 2021 GT1 with JB4 and meth. I added the EGW wires. Prior to adding the wires, I had 0 issues with p0049. Car ran good, but my brother has them in his stinger, and he told me they help with top and and boost spool so I figured, 100 bucks, fook it.

When I first installed the EGW cables, I only hooked them to the JB4. I pinned them into the wiring harness, and left the actual connectors on the other side, just dangling loose in my engine bay, for another day when I had time to pull the air boxes and actually connect them fully.

Anyway, shortly after that I started to have issues with the p0049 error. I assumed because I hooked the pins to the JB4, maybe even without setting any settings, it was trying to control boost, but since, the actual cables were not hooked to the car it couldnt yet, hence the boost error.

Well yesterday I hooked the cables to the car. I just mirrored what my brother has running on his stinger with the same mods. ill add the screenshots in a sec.

Regardless, it made the issue worse. I cant even really floor the car without it going into limp mode or pulling hte 0049.

On a side note, If I have my cell connected to the JB4 and I am looking at all the gauges like MWI flow and RPM, etc, they work until I floor my car, then the app freezes. Like the WMI will stay at 100, the RPM freezes almost like the app is locking up. Now if i disconnect then reconnect it will be back to working, until I floor it again. When I am just crusing or 75 throttle, the app never freezes. If I am taking a log, when the app freezes the log stops.

any idea what would be causing this?

Comment

• here are the settings see the post above

p.s. i just changed the base settings you see in the screenshots not the stuff at the top with each rpm and gear do i need to do that ( where my brother has the 45 duty cycle stuff
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Map 6 w EWG wire help !

Hello, I have been experimenting with MAP 6 since I have EWG wires installed. I was just wondering what is recommended for the settings ? I have a small log of a pull i did today and i can get a better one tomorrow but i was just wondering what the recommended settings were.

My Mods are intakes, brisk racing plugs, and the jb4. (Brisk racing plugs are multiprong and dont require gapping). Fuel is e30 ** approx ** gas in Vegas sucks.
                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenozx1 View Post
                                                                                Hey I have an odd scenerio. so I have a fully moded 2021 GT1 with JB4 and meth. I added the EGW wires. Prior to adding the wires, I had 0 issues with p0049. Car ran good, but my brother has them in his stinger, and he told me they help with top and and boost spool so I figured, 100 bucks, fook it.

When I first installed the EGW cables, I only hooked them to the JB4. I pinned them into the wiring harness, and left the actual connectors on the other side, just dangling loose in my engine bay, for another day when I had time to pull the air boxes and actually connect them fully.

Anyway, shortly after that I started to have issues with the p0049 error. I assumed because I hooked the pins to the JB4, maybe even without setting any settings, it was trying to control boost, but since, the actual cables were not hooked to the car it couldnt yet, hence the boost error.

Well yesterday I hooked the cables to the car. I just mirrored what my brother has running on his stinger with the same mods. ill add the screenshots in a sec.

Regardless, it made the issue worse. I cant even really floor the car without it going into limp mode or pulling hte 0049.

On a side note, If I have my cell connected to the JB4 and I am looking at all the gauges like MWI flow and RPM, etc, they work until I floor my car, then the app freezes. Like the WMI will stay at 100, the RPM freezes almost like the app is locking up. Now if i disconnect then reconnect it will be back to working, until I floor it again. When I am just crusing or 75 throttle, the app never freezes. If I am taking a log, when the app freezes the log stops.

any idea what would be causing this?
                                                                                here is the jb4 freezing I was talking about. also even with map 0 I over boost now.

jb4 issue after ewg install - YouTubehttps://youtube.com/shorts/alDfX0eOp5Y?feature=share

Comment

• Log review

Hey terry can you look over my log..2022 g703.3t mods are jb4 450 kit , WMI kit , and EWG wires . Running 91 octane , stock exhaust
                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Quick question… just installed the EWG. And it seems like I’m not building much boost. Have it set to read in PSI, but getting 3.5 at the most. Mind you, it was just a short speed up since I don’t want to go to the highway and risk something going wrong. I turned off the EWG and I’m building a bit more, like 14 psi… did I connect something wrong or something?

Comment

• Terry @ BMS Should the EWG be on if I have the ECU tuned? I touched something and it runs like ****. I run it on methenol and been using map 6 should I got to 7 ? Also meth saftey mode (0-3) and trigger mode (0-3) where should it be at? I have no clue.

Comment

• Send in a log if you need tuning advice, it will have all settings and I can review them.
                                                                                        Burger Motorsports

Comment

• Terry @ BMS I will find a good log. but dumb question I have meth, can I install CPI also? set it up to spray just a little bit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hespe View Post
                                                                                            Terry @ BMS I will find a good log. but dumb question I have meth, can I install CPI also? set it up to spray just a little bit?
                                                                                            We suggest one or the other, not both. See the WMI vs CPI FAQ for when to select each.
                                                                                            Burger Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            X