Limp mode with JB4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limp mode with JB4

In the last couple of weeks my car has gone into limp mode a couple of times and just displays a check engine light, when driving it hard. Have turned it off and on again and it goes away. Had a track day on the weekend and it would go away but come back pretty quickly. I disconnected the JB4 and for the rest of the session the car was fine.
    It did show a error code P0304 in the JB4 app at one point.
    I have attached logs and would greatly appreciate if any can see what might be going on.
    3.3TT Stinger.
    I have had the JB4 on for couple of years maybe. Did someone similar about year ago straight after I put the fuel wires ON but undid them, redid them and it all seemed OK until very recently.
    Attached Files

p0304 is cyl 4 misfire.

How old are your plugs? What's the gap? swap the coil and see if the misfire follows?

Comment

looks like cyl 4 is making larger timing corrections than the others, but 3 4 6 are all showing high corrections. This means it isn't isolated to a single bank.

Which map are you running? It looks too spicy

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's just on Map2 running 98 fuel (Australia).
        I upgraded plugs about a year ago and gapped them to the slightly narrower gap that I see people recommend. Can't recall the gap.
        Could bad air cleaners cause this? I'm putting new ones in tomorrow and will test again.

Comment

Likely not air cleaner related. I would pull the plugs and inspect them, check the gap. While you're doing this leave the battery unplugged so the adaptives reset. Then try map 1. It just looks like there's a little too much boost for the fuel quality

What specific plugs are you running, if you remember? If they aren't 1 step colder (Denso 5346 or equivalent) those may help curb some of the knocking activity.

Comment

Thanks. They were the Denso 5346 IKH24 "1 Step" High Performance Spark Plug for Kia/Hyundai 3.3L Turbo. Gap was done to .022. Will definitely check them. I let the computer reset when I was having the trouble at the track AND disconnected the JB4. I just disconnected the 2 connectors on the ECU but will do the battery terminal trick this time.

Comment

Looking at the logs again, it's requesting 0 psi over stock in the first log after a while. No idea why that is? Did it throw a CEL? Fwiw I'm pretty new to the JB4 platform but not new to tuning/logging. I can't seem to see a charge temp in the logging parameters so I'm not sure if there's a temp flag or why it would stop requesting more boost over stock.

In the second log it's requesting more over stock. Consequently there is a lot more timing pulled in cyl 4, I see up to 9.

Log 1 at 5500 rpm at 12 psi requesting 0 over stock, the timing correction is 4.5. In log 2 at 5500 rpm at 17 psi (requesting 4 over stock) the corrections are 8 and 9 in cyl 4 and 6.

So less boost definitely helps whatever is going on. Resetting the battery should reset the learned ignition trims. Then some logging on map 0 might give a clearer picture what's happening. But for now it's just looking like there's not enough octane.

Comment

Thanks also for the info. What is CEL?
                I've started pulling plugs, starting with the easiest which coincidentally is Groups I believe...? Middle one on the rhs as you face the car? Passenger side for Aus. It does not look good at all. Surprised the car is running at all!
                Attached Files

Comment

Ah sorry, CEL is check engine light or maybe you guys call it MIL?

Judging by a random post on a kia forum, that would appear to be cyl 4.

Comment

Yes, it did come up with check engine light.
                    I pulled one more plug and it looked pretty similar. Checking what I can buy locally or just get another set of the denso 1 steps from the store. Just takes a while to get and postage adds a bit. Going to triple check the gaps on the new set.

Comment

Originally posted by laynevans View Post
                      Thanks also for the info. What is CEL?
                      I've started pulling plugs, starting with the easiest which coincidentally is Groups I believe...? Middle one on the rhs as you face the car? Passenger side for Aus. It does not look good at all. Surprised the car is running at all!
                      I had a similar issue with the tips on IKH24 so I went to IKH27 and had no issues since.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueGT View Post

I had a similar issue with the tips on IKH24 so I went to IKH27 and had no issues since.
                        Oh, interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Comment

Looks like a smoked plug. Replace them and regap to 0.022"
                          Burger Motorsports
                          Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
                            Looks like a smoked plug. Replace them and regap to 0.022"
                            Thanks. Getting on that now. Should I go for the 2 step cooler at all? Engine is not modified but these 1 step cooler plugs barely did 20000kms.

Comment

The 2step might last a little longer, or try the HKS. Normal mileage out of a set of 1 steps is around 20k. So you came up a bit short, maybe due to fuel or driving style.
                              Burger Motorsports
                              Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
                                The 2step might last a little longer, or try the HKS. Normal mileage out of a set of 1 steps is around 20k. So you came up a bit short, maybe due to fuel or driving style.
                                Thanks for the info. I've ordered the 1 step colder plugs again and the special tool to gap them in case I damaged the last ones a bit doing the gapping.
                                Will be prepared to replaced them around each year.

Comment

So, I've been fighting something like this as well - but no error codes on the jb4. It always happens like this:
                                  -drive for 10-15 minutes (maps 2-4, sometimes map 0, doesn't seem to be related to a specific map)
                                  -stop for 10-20 minutes (like say, a quick grocery run)
                                  -get back in the car, roll in reverse a little, shift to D, switch mode to sport (before or after going to D)
                                  -CEL comes on, car can barely move. Can rev in neutral, but nothing faster than 2 mph in drive - any more throttle and it just ignores it
                                  -shakes / shudders like it's not getting fuel

Has happened 4 times so far. All in the last month. Every single time: get out of the way of traffic, stop, restart (5 seconds later), problem gone, car drives like normal for next 5-10 times. Can cruise for hours or hit it hard for a bit, nothing out of the ordinary.

JB4 never records any codes. I tried scanning today, while the CEL was on - no codes read.

Could it also be plugs? I upgraded to hks 4-6 months ago, since my Denso were getting old, so I don't expect them to be worn out yet. And no P0304 (I had that once, like 1-2 years ago).

First 2 times, it was a tank of self-mixed E30 (once at the start, once at the end), and I thought it was just a bad mix / bad gas. Now it's done it twice on plain old CA91, map2 (and map 0).

It has NEVER done it twice in a row, nor twice in the same day - usually a week apart. So there's no easy way to reproduce it. Doesn't quite feel the same as when my '05 Legacy GT had a bad coilpack that couldn't give enough voltage when cold (but was ok hot) - this only happens when warm. Has not done it cold.

I'm just disappointed jb4 isn't able to read any codes when there's a clear CEL on the dash. Would my old ELM27 bluetooth module + app maybe work to get a code? I guess I'll have to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAWD View Post
                                    So, I've been fighting something like this as well - but no error codes on the jb4. It always happens like this:
                                    -drive for 10-15 minutes (maps 2-4, sometimes map 0, doesn't seem to be related to a specific map)
                                    -stop for 10-20 minutes (like say, a quick grocery run)
                                    -get back in the car, roll in reverse a little, shift to D, switch mode to sport (before or after going to D)
                                    -CEL comes on, car can barely move. Can rev in neutral, but nothing faster than 2 mph in drive - any more throttle and it just ignores it
                                    -shakes / shudders like it's not getting fuel

Has happened 4 times so far. All in the last month. Every single time: get out of the way of traffic, stop, restart (5 seconds later), problem gone, car drives like normal for next 5-10 times. Can cruise for hours or hit it hard for a bit, nothing out of the ordinary.

JB4 never records any codes. I tried scanning today, while the CEL was on - no codes read.

Could it also be plugs? I upgraded to hks 4-6 months ago, since my Denso were getting old, so I don't expect them to be worn out yet. And no P0304 (I had that once, like 1-2 years ago).

First 2 times, it was a tank of self-mixed E30 (once at the start, once at the end), and I thought it was just a bad mix / bad gas. Now it's done it twice on plain old CA91, map2 (and map 0).

It has NEVER done it twice in a row, nor twice in the same day - usually a week apart. So there's no easy way to reproduce it. Doesn't quite feel the same as when my '05 Legacy GT had a bad coilpack that couldn't give enough voltage when cold (but was ok hot) - this only happens when warm. Has not done it cold.

I'm just disappointed jb4 isn't able to read any codes when there's a clear CEL on the dash. Would my old ELM27 bluetooth module + app maybe work to get a code? I guess I'll have to try it.
                                    Sounds very frustrating. Just have to start eliminating variables to deduce what's causing it I suppose. Someone else with more knowledge hopefully sees your post and can help more.

Comment

I've put new plugs in mine. Have driven a little bit with only some minor spirited driving but no problem so far. Will need to drive it harder for a few more times before I'm confident the problem is fixed but I'm confident it is fixed. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by laynevans View Post

Sounds very frustrating. Just have to start eliminating variables to deduce what's causing it I suppose. Someone else with more knowledge hopefully sees your post and can help more.
                                        Thanks. I also tried with my OBD-2 bluetooth plug and Torque App. Still no codes. This was starting the car a few weeks later, just to see if there were any codes the jb4 wasn't reading.

Hasn't done it in 2-3 (4?) weeks.

My new working theory (this was common to all the instances, IIRC):
                                        -start car (already warm, but may not be a factor)
                                        -possibly hit mode change, but it doesn't take because I didn't spin the knob all the way (or maybe didn't do it, not 100% sure)
                                        -shift into R to back out of parking spot slowly
                                        -while rolling in R (last few few of backing up), hit mode-change to go to Sport/Custom
                                        -shift in to D very soon afterwards

My theory - doing a mode change in R and/or shifting out of R soon afterwards is throwing something off. Not sure if my Lozic TCU is also involved - I've had it ~a year, and it's only done June/July this year.

I've been careful to NOT change modes in R and/or shift right after a mode change, and so far, it hasn't repeated it. <Fingers crossed>

Comment

Working...
                                        X