• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High WGDC and not hitting target

Below target and intermittent boost
    (E92) 2011 335i N55 178k Stock turbo

Mods:
    BMS Intake and catch can, VRSF turbo inlet/outlet pipes, 7” HD FMIC, and ******* DP, Turbosmart Dual Port VR9 BOV. NGK One Step colder plugs and ELDOR coils

(plugs and coils replaced at about 168k along with many other maintenance items)

Backstory:
    took the car in to get my diff resealed at a shop in Oceanside, I had been there before and asked about a coolant leak and they didn’t see anything concerning until I pointed it out when I got my diff done. Long story short they caused all my lines to leak and cracked my reservoir (after I gave in and let them replace one of the lines; and then I had a boost leak when I picked up the car and was pissing coolant. Replaced all the coolant lines and started to diagnose this boost leak. Bought a tester, smoke machine, the turbo inlet/outlet, and lastly the BOV. I was really hoping the diaphragm was busted when I removed it but it looked perfect and thought maybe it was getting stuck because I would build boost randomly. I would also get 2906 and 2BEA with an engine malfunction message but no limp mode (cause it felt like I was already in limp mode) and these would only pop up when getting on the freeway or traveling uphill for at least half a mile. I’ll also have rough idle on cold starts and surging/lurching at very low speeds, not even on the pedal really.

Since I installed the BOV I seem to be building a little better than before but still 2-4 PSI below target.
    Also when boost testing after install I couldn’t build any pressure or find leaks. Driving the car for the last few days I haven’t gotten any codes either. So here I am. I will be posting logs later today I just haven’t had time to make any. Any and all help/guidance will be greatly appreciated as this is my first post to any sort of forum.

Side note: I saw a video on YT about the PCV connection that runs across the VC having oil pool up right where the hose connects on the right side because of an internal crack in the VC. Could this be the issue? I ruled it out initially because I didn’t see too much oil but I checked again and there was a little pool in the bottom. I also replaced the VC at about 165k so I’d hope it didn’t go out that quick.

logs now attached one in 2nd one in 3rd running 91 octane, can of liquimoly valve cleaner

Map 1 with Pump BEF and XHP Stage 1
    Again thank you for any guidance

Attached Files
    Last edited by aleschenfelder; 08-27-2022, 11:58 PM. Reason: Logs attached

There isn't a JB4 log attached
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

Another log in 3rd

edit: Got half engine malfunction reduced power soon after with 2906 code.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by aleschenfelder; 08-28-2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
        There isn't a JB4 log attached
        Hey Terry is there anything else I can add to be more helpful?

Comment

Your WGDC is maxed out...looks like a possible boost leak which is why your FF is rising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yNUDSI.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	813163

Click on our banner to visit our website!
          Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I walnut blasted my valves and got some new clamps delivered, while blasting I realized when I did my HPFP, I installed the wrong packing on the throttle body and luckily ordered the correct one this time. The one I removed was chewed up and after putting the car back together the idle and boost ranges improved slightly. I’ll be smoke testing here soon to ensure there are no more leaks. I still got the half engine/malfunction with the 2906 (Intake air system: Suspicion of leaks between turbocharger and intake valves) I’m hoping it’s an easy fix now and I’ll be able to hold pressure with the new packing installed. I’ll take some logs ASAP.
            Attached Files

Comment

2 logs in 3rd, one in 2nd, one at idle.I still have a major leak somewhere but it’s better since installing the new gasket. I smoke checked the system yesterday and couldn’t find anything, the only places I could see smoke coming out was the new BOV ports, and from the PCV hose that hooks up to the intake tract. Even with the PVC port taped up I could only see smoke coming from the BOV ports. I’m thinking blown internal seals? Anything helps.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by aleschenfelder; 09-08-2022, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Have you done a leak down test yet?
                Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon @ BMS View Post
                  Have you done a leak down test yet?
                  Not yet but I was thinking that to be my next course of action, I was researching the process today and may just take it to a local shop. This next week I’ll remove all the vacuum lines to ensure none of them are cracked, the main one being for the exhaust flap. Then test the retention on the PWG ensuring it’s closing properly. (I don’t hear turbo spool or wastegate rattle) If those aren’t failure points a leak down test is my next COA. Are there any kits or DIYs out there? Thank you for the feedback!

Comment

Update: still have not had the chance to do any of the above but driving the car tonight I felt a little more power than I had been recently and decided to open up the app. Car seemed to be responding pretty well except for one of these where I felt the car cutting out. All of these logs are pretty close together but I was building pretty good boost on most. The last few is what I have been experiencing more often, where I’ll get on the gas then boost will kick in. As bad as this sounds I can’t remember if I was switching through maps earlier but I usually have it set on map 1 as default. These were all done with map 5.

I think it’s worth noting:
                    Outside temp: 73°F
                    Humidity: 90%
                    Dew point: 70°F
                    Overcast

Again thank you for all the help and I’m really hoping these were worth logging. I hope I’m not uploading duplicate logs as well if so my apologies.
                    Attached Files

Comment

They won't be able to help unless you post a proper log. 3rd gear, pedal 100% 2.5-redline...
                      2016 435i M-Sport EWG MPPK Manual 6, BMS Map 6 BEF-PS2-Race, Pure Stage 2 turbo, Spool-FX150 HPFP, Walbro 535 LPFP, BMS Intake, BMS FMIC, BMS BOV, 3.5 TMAP, ER DP, AA CP, FTP Turbo Inlet, H&R Sport Springs, BMW 335is clutch kit, BMS Clutch Stop, BMS Diff Bracket, BMS Wheel Spacers, BMW SSK, BMW Track Package

Comment

I was trying to catch the intermittent boost. Car stopped building boost again and decided to comeback tonight took this quick, I’ll take another in a few hours.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Two more, tried to make a third but the app froze, I disconnected and shut the car off tried reconnecting and it wouldn’t work.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aleschenfelder View Post
                            Two more, tried to make a third but the app froze, I disconnected and shut the car off tried reconnecting and it wouldn’t work.
                            Wgdc maxing out. Either still a small leak w ff still rising or you are running into fueling limit via 91. Increase octane or use an e30 blend. Just my thoughts. The experts might provide more insight.
                            2016 435i M-Sport EWG MPPK Manual 6, BMS Map 6 BEF-PS2-Race, Pure Stage 2 turbo, Spool-FX150 HPFP, Walbro 535 LPFP, BMS Intake, BMS FMIC, BMS BOV, 3.5 TMAP, ER DP, AA CP, FTP Turbo Inlet, H&R Sport Springs, BMW 335is clutch kit, BMS Clutch Stop, BMS Diff Bracket, BMS Wheel Spacers, BMW SSK, BMW Track Package

Comment

Yep, still looking like a bit of a boost leak.
                              Burger Motorsports

Comment

Yep, still looking like a bit of a boost leak.
                                Pressure taped all ducts from turbo outlet to charge pipe then tried making another log last night, got these codes and here is the log attempt. Car was running terribly I didn’t know it could completely shut down a cylinder. Parked the car turned it off and started it up just fine checked codes and cleared them to make sure nothing changed. Car has been running fine since. Kinda scared to get on it again.

Maybe a new LPFP? It’s stock and probably on its way out.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Odd codes but I don't think a lpfp would be needed w your mods and fuel type. Remember you need to do a few logs for the dme to adjust. If it was me I'd run a few more but that's just me.

Comment

That log shows terrible timing. Perhaps it was a fluke and another log needs to be done.

Comment

Pressure taped all ducts from turbo outlet to charge pipe then tried making another log last night, got these codes and here is the log attempt. Car was running terribly I didn’t know it could completely shut down a cylinder. Parked the car turned it off and started it up just fine checked codes and cleared them to make sure nothing changed. Car has been running fine since. Kinda scared to get on it again.

Maybe a new LPFP? It’s stock and probably on its way out.
                                      Have you done a boost leak test yet?
                                      Burger Motorsports

Comment

I’ll take another log tonight and boost leak test I’ve the next few days, I haven’t tested since wrapping the ducts. I’ll throw some e-85 in there as well.

Comment

2 more logs I’ll try and boost check tomorrow but I’m sure I’m solid now. Haven’t had any codes since that night and the car is feeling great.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Please upload a log where you have 100% pedal input.
                                            Thanks!
                                            Burger Motorsports

Comment

2 more logs I’ll try and boost check tomorrow but I’m sure I’m solid now. Haven’t had any codes since that night and the car is feeling great.
                                              Something still seems off. Not hitting targets, wgdc maxed out and timing is off. (Side note: mph is funky too). Are you on the latest firmware? Might want to reset to jb4 default values (ie FF).

Second log pedal not 100 so not too helpful.

The experts may have more insights as well.

Comment

Please upload a log where you have 100% pedal input.
                                                Thanks!
                                                Cannon: I saw one wasn't but the other was. Just fyi

Comment

Originally posted by RVA_N55_Fan View Post

Cannon: I saw one wasn't but the other was. Just fyi
                                                  Hopefully this one is better, felt really good opposed to all the others.
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully this one is better, felt really good opposed to all the others.
                                                    still same issues. And it is not worth running or posting a log of pedal isn't 100. Are you able to see your log prior to posting? If so, you will be able to validate petal column. Make sure you are in a safe environment then hold petal to the floor from 2.5 - redline.

Given you were close at petal in upper 90's, the log still has same issues I mentioned previous. Compare target vs boost columns.

Comment

Originally posted by RVA_N55_Fan View Post

still same issues. And it is not worth running or posting a log of pedal isn't 100. Are you able to see your log prior to posting? If so, you will be able to validate petal column. Make sure you are in a safe environment then hold petal to the floor from 2.5 - redline.

Given you were close at petal in upper 90's, the log still has same issues I mentioned previous. Compare target vs boost columns.

Balls to the wall in all three I can see my logs too; just still new to the whole thing. Second log I cutoff late but the first and third should be good. All at 100% pedal input.
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

Balls to the wall in all three I can see my logs too; just still new to the whole thing. Second log I cutoff late but the first and third should be good. All at 100% pedal input.
                                                        2 out of 3 but that's good enough. They confirm you have a leak. From what I know...experts will help confirm or negate.negate

Comment

Log looks pretty normal...stock turbo is maxed out.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
                                                          Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Comment

Working...
                                                          X