JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Dino Run was....fun - 04-29-2022, 08:45 AM

Been a while since I've posted on here but I wanted to share my Dino run and the mods/tuning that went into it.

Engine internals are all stock, running an AT with the updated (DCT like) flash (but the trans is my limiting factor here...maybe I'll swap it out).
Car was tuned by Trebila and runs his custom e85 BEF using a JB4 with the portInjection piggyback.

Turbos: Vargas VTT GC F-RB+ w/ upgraded aluminum outlets
Exhaust: VSRF Ceramic coated (and heat wrapped), titanium mid-pips, Berk street muffler (my neighbors hate me)
Intercooler: AMS (need to upgrade this as my IAT's do get a tad hot)
Intake: Pheonix manifold with 750cc port injectors & turbo smart BOV
Fuel: Fuel-It Stage 4 LPFP with all upgraded fuel lines and E85 inline sensor

...there's more but I forget it all, ha.

first run was at 27psi, second run 29psi and the bottom graph is when I was on the stock turbos on pump gas. I could have dialed it up more I think but I was too scared to LOL

I'm happy with the numbers and will dial the boost back for normal driving. I definitely found the ceiling I'm happy with power wise. She's my little go-kart.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R3_v12_220429_0902.csv (30.9 KB, 46 views)

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
Trebila ECU & AT tune, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, VSRF ceramic 3", VTT Chargepipe w/ Turbosmart BOV, VSRF 7.5" Intercooler, Fuel-It Stg4 LPFP, Pheonix Intake W/ 750cc PI, VTT GC F-RB+

Suspension:
Front & Rear 1M/M3 control arms & Subframe Bushings, MFactory YCW coils w/ Swift Springs

Exhaust:
Berk Street Performance Axle-back w/ titanium Midpipes

Last edited by rhodesman; 04-29-2022 at 08:51 AM..
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 04-30-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman
Been a while since I've posted on here but I wanted to share my Dino run and the mods/tuning that went into it.

Engine internals are all stock, running an AT with the updated (DCT like) flash (but the trans is my limiting factor here...maybe I'll swap it out).
Car was tuned by Trebila and runs his custom e85 BEF using a JB4 with the portInjection piggyback.

Turbos: Vargas VTT GC F-RB+ w/ upgraded aluminum outlets
Exhaust: VSRF Ceramic coated (and heat wrapped), titanium mid-pips, Berk street muffler (my neighbors hate me)
Intercooler: AMS (need to upgrade this as my IAT's do get a tad hot)
Intake: Pheonix manifold with 750cc port injectors & turbo smart BOV
Fuel: Fuel-It Stage 4 LPFP with all upgraded fuel lines and E85 inline sensor

...there's more but I forget it all, ha.

first run was at 27psi, second run 29psi and the bottom graph is when I was on the stock turbos on pump gas. I could have dialed it up more I think but I was too scared to LOL

I'm happy with the numbers and will dial the boost back for normal driving. I definitely found the ceiling I'm happy with power wise. She's my little go-kart.
What fuel ?
Also can you post a log of the Dyno runs ?
(#3)
Old

Default 05-01-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
What fuel ?
Also can you post a log of the Dyno runs ?
??? Did you not look at my post? The post says I'm running an E85 tune hence the fuel I'm running is E85. And I did attach the log for the dyno runs....so I'm not sure what more you are looking for here.

Edit: I added the PNG export of the dyno runs to make it easier.
Attached Images

Trebila ECU & AT tune, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, VSRF ceramic 3", VTT Chargepipe w/ Turbosmart BOV, VSRF 7.5" Intercooler, Fuel-It Stg4 LPFP, Pheonix Intake W/ 750cc PI, VTT GC F-RB+

Suspension:
Front & Rear 1M/M3 control arms & Subframe Bushings, MFactory YCW coils w/ Swift Springs

Exhaust:
(#4)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-04-2022, 11:59 AM

I always assumed the GC F-RB+ would dyno higher at 29psi on E85?

Nice numbers regardless, I am sure it is fun to drive.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#5)
Old
Demigod

Default 05-06-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
I always assumed the GC F-RB+ would dyno higher at 29psi on E85?

Agreed.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-06-2022, 01:01 PM

Car has outlets and running 11/12 up top at 29psi but makes sub 600whp, 570whp to be exact?

https://vargasturbo.com/product/n54-...#configuration

"With this all-new design, there is no other 850WHP capable turbocharger"

850whp so two tiny 20T wheels can make as much power as a 6466, amazing!

OP maybe you should ask for a refund? Ask VTT what's up? Then they can explain you are running the wrong oil

Got Boost?
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Default 05-06-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Car has outlets and running 11/12 up top at 29psi but makes sub 600whp, 570whp to be exact?

https://vargasturbo.com/product/n54-...#configuration

"With this all-new design, there is no other 850WHP capable turbocharger"

850whp so two tiny 20T wheels can make as much power as a 6466, amazing!

OP maybe you should ask for a refund? Ask VTT what's up? Then they can explain you are running the wrong oil
And once again, agreed to what my associate has pointed out.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-07-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
And once again, agreed to what my associate has pointed out.
570whp / 29 psi = 19.65 whp per psi of boost. 850 / 19.65 = 43 psi

He only needs 14 more psi of boost in theory. Unfortunately it does not scale linearly.

Got Boost?
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Default 05-07-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
570whp / 29 psi = 19.65 whp per psi of boost. 850 / 19.65 = 43 psi

He only needs 14 more psi of boost in theory. Unfortunately it does not scale linearly.
😐
Makes me think of cheap car amplifiers..say 2500watts, but only makes it at 16v input, clipped signal, and a ton of distortion.
So while it is possible to hit 2500w, in the real world, useable clean power at 12.6v is like 950w.

I don't see these doing 850whp...in the real world.
Hell, even pushed to the absolute max it is doubtful.
Nothing against OP, car at those numbers is definitely fun.
Treb is a great tuner, nothing bad to say there either. I recommend him to a LOT of people, especially in JB4 community.
VTT......well , I just don't care for a lot of their stuff.
To OP, I missed the log in first post since I am on mobile phone.
The fuel question was asked because most E85 pumps out there vary from E51 to E83 ( sticker is usually posted right on the pump)so was curious as to what was actually in the tank on dyno day.....but whatever, nice attitude, enjoy your car. 🙂
(#10)
Old

Car: bmw
Default 06-10-2022, 01:55 AM

(#11)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 11:57 AM

For all those saying I should be making 850whp. My goal was never to go that high (it's an e88 for crying out loud! I'd probably turn the unibody into a pretzel!!).

My goal here was a turbo that wasn't being pushed at it's limits and I am being quite conservative with the boost at the moment. Also, I had a weak intercooler which wasn't helping IAT and just swapped that out for a 7.5" intercooler from VSRF.

I've been working with my tuner to tweak the ECU numbers and dial up the boost for another Dyno run. Definitely not done, but I'm still quite happy with the initial results considering that Dyno run didn't have the tune adjusted properly for the VTT turbos.

So far I have nothing but good things to say about the F-RB+ turbos and am not trying to push my car to it's absolute limits. For the most part I have the car dialed back to 26psi for street driving which is still ungodly fast for my needs.

Suspension:

Exhaust:
(#12)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
😐
The fuel question was asked because most E85 pumps out there vary from E51 to E83 ( sticker is usually posted right on the pump)so was curious as to what was actually in the tank on dyno day.....but whatever, nice attitude, enjoy your car. 🙂
Ahh! Sorry, I understand what you mean now. it was e70-e71 according to the Fuel-It ethanol gauge. Also wasn't trying to be mean/angry at you, I just figured you were one of those people that just look at the picture and post.

All good though, I'm not one to start or participate in drama and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Suspension:

Exhaust:
(#13)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
....Then they can explain you are running the wrong oil
I'm currently using Motul 8100 X-clean. Do you have a better oil suggestion? From what I was told, the 8100 was the best oil for the job but I'm not against changing it if there's something better.

Suspension:

Exhaust:
(#14)
Old
H O O N

Car: Ein M
Default 06-22-2022, 02:35 PM

F-RB not quite living up to their name, RB GF high flows make 109hp more at the same boost and timing on E85.

Quote:
I'm currently using Motul 8100 X-clean. Do you have a better oil suggestion? From what I was told, the 8100 was the best oil for the job but I'm not against changing it if there's something better.
lol he's just poking fun at the fact that VTT will make any excuse as to why their turbos aren't performing as claimed. The numbers are decent, must feel like a blast on the street, just expected a lot more for the amount of boost/timing you're running.

H O O N
(#15)
Old

Default 06-23-2022, 11:44 AM

@Snertz Thats for that. That is odd that the RB GF's can produce 100+ more hp at the same boost targets.

I've been poking around at my logs and I did find something interesting. Apparently going from 27psi to 29psi is only a 1% difference in the wgdc at the same(-ish) RPM. So maybe I do need to head into the 30's to really see these turbos shine but I dunno, I'm no expert on engine tuning or anything. I just know more PSI = more power LOL.
Attached Images

Suspension:

Exhaust:
(#16)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-23-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Ahh! Sorry, I understand what you mean now. it was e70-e71 according to the Fuel-It ethanol gauge. Also wasn't trying to be mean/angry at you, I just figured you were one of those people that just look at the picture and post.

All good though, I'm not one to start or participate in drama and I'm sorry if it came off that way.
No worries, all good.
(#17)
Old
Demigod

Default Yesterday, 10:36 AM

Quote:
@Snertz Thats for that. That is odd that the RB GF's can produce 100+ more hp at the same boost targets.

I've been poking around at my logs and I did find something interesting. Apparently going from 27psi to 29psi is only a 1% difference in the wgdc at the same(-ish) RPM. So maybe I do need to head into the 30's to really see these turbos shine but I dunno, I'm no expert on engine tuning or anything. I just know more PSI = more power LOL.
I wouldn't.
Maybe contact VTT and ask them if they sent you the correct turbos ?
Something is definitely off. Also maybe get your dyno guy to convert SAE to STD and see where the numbers are at.