JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i
Default First Log..What is going on here?? - 06-18-2022, 10:01 AM

I've had the JB4 installed for months (map 1 93 octane). Car felt strong and pulled good when it was cooler out. Lately its a little sluggish as the heat is rising. I was told this isn't normal for a BMW's. I have a modded Eagle Talon TSi I built and tune myself and I know the heat a humidity kills power in those. Hence why I run meth injection. I just dusted off the old laptop and logged a 3rd gear pull. This log makes no sense though. Log says I'm in 6th gear. The speed and IAT are reading ridiculous values. I don't even know what to make of it.

Two things that also jump out at me are the PID gain and FF/Wastegate Adaption seem way off from the default settings and other people's logs I've looked at. My only mods right now are a BMS intake. I've got a BMS chargepipe and intercoooler waiting to go in but I want to make sure everything is looking OK before I put them in.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 220618_1217.csv (7.0 KB, 10 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 2014 435i
Default 06-18-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_train23
I've had the JB4 installed for months (map 1 93 octane). Car felt strong and pulled good when it was cooler out. Lately its a little sluggish as the heat is rising. I was told this isn't normal for a BMW's. I have a modded Eagle Talon TSi I built and tune myself and I know the heat a humidity kills power in those. Hence why I run meth injection. I just dusted off the old laptop and logged a 3rd gear pull. This log makes no sense though. Log says I'm in 6th gear. The speed and IAT are reading ridiculous values. I don't even know what to make of it.

Two things that also jump out at me are the PID gain and FF/Wastegate Adaption seem way off from the default settings and other people's logs I've looked at. My only mods right now are a BMS intake. I've got a BMS chargepipe and intercoooler waiting to go in but I want to make sure everything is looking OK before I put them in.
Yeah something is not right. Either that's the wrong log, or you need to review proper log process, or install issues. They won't review unless proper log attached.

2016 435i M-Sport EWG MPPK Manual 6, BMS Map 6 BEF-PS2-Race, Pure Stage 2 turbo, Spool-FX150 HPFP, Walbro 535 LPFP, BMS Intake, BMS FMIC, BMS BOV, 3.5 TMAP, ER DP, AA CP, FTP Turbo Inlet, H&R Sport Springs, BMW 335is clutch kit, BMS Clutch Stop, BMS Diff Bracket, BMS Wheel Spacers, BMW SSK, BMW Track Package
(#3)
Old

Default 06-18-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_N55_Fan
Yeah something is not right. Either that's the wrong log, or you need to review proper log process, or install issues. They won't review unless proper log attached.
There is nothing wrong with the log. I started it as I rolled onto the highway in 3rd and stopped after shifting into 4th. I'm dumbfounded by the log. Clearly I wouldn't be doing 5mph in 6th gear as the log states. What could I possibly be doing wrong??
(#4)
Old

Default 06-19-2022, 05:51 AM

I'll try again today. I'm logging via USB cable and laptop. I press F1 to start logging then F2 to stop and load my log then I export it to save it. Is that the proper way to log these? I don't want to rip on it too much until I know it's safe

New log from today. IAT's and Speed are still wrong in the log even though the program shows them accurately in real time. Actually all the temps are wrong. Oil, Air, Trans, Water etc. I'm at a loss here what do I need to change?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 220619_1232.csv (14.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by D_train23; 06-19-2022 at 01:27 PM..
(#5)
Old

Default 06-19-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I'll try again today. I'm logging via USB cable and laptop. I press F1 to start logging then F2 to stop and load my log then I export it to save it. Is that the proper way to log these? I don't want to rip on it too much until I know it's safe

New log from today. IAT's and Speed are still wrong in the log even though the program shows them accurately in real time. Actually all the temps are wrong. Oil, Air, Trans, Water etc. I'm at a loss here what do I need to change?
I'd email burger tuning support for help w this one.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-20-2022, 08:32 AM

Besides the speed and temps being off everything else seemed to log alright. Any input on the tune/log?
(#7)
Old

Default 06-21-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Besides the speed and temps being off everything else seemed to log alright. Any input on the tune/log?
No. Everything is off. Target/actual, ff, etc. Might be a jb4 board issue.
(#8)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 03:28 AM

Quote:
No. Everything is off. Target/actual, ff, etc. Might be a jb4 board issue.
Thanks for your reply. I looked it over real good last night and noticed the same thing. I wasn't sure if there was anything I could change in the user adjustments to get things back inline. I read through the JB4 bible pdf as well and seems like made changes to the duty bias and pid to get boost and target to line up better. I guess I'll email Burger and go from there.
(#9)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I looked it over real good last night and noticed the same thing. I wasn't sure if there was anything I could change in the user adjustments to get things back inline. I read through the JB4 bible pdf as well and seems like made changes to the duty bias and pid to get boost and target to line up better. I guess I'll email Burger and go from there.
Those adjustments are if you are not hitting target not vice versa like in your case. Emailing them is the way to go.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-22-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Those adjustments are if you are not hitting target not vice versa like in your case. Emailing them is the way to go.
Ah ok makes sense. They suggested resetting all my user adjustments back to default. I did so and my target is still 4. It didn't seem to change much. I emailed the newest log and waiting for a reply now.

Edit: I just read that map 1 is an additive map so the "target" is the amount of boost being added over stock boost. This makes a lot more sense because if I add the target to the ECU boost in my logs it lines up really close to actual boost. Hhmm.

Last edited by D_train23; 06-22-2022 at 06:13 PM..
(#11)
Old

Default 06-23-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Ah ok makes sense. They suggested resetting all my user adjustments back to default. I did so and my target is still 4. It didn't seem to change much. I emailed the newest log and waiting for a reply now.

Edit: I just read that map 1 is an additive map so the "target" is the amount of boost being added over stock boost. This makes a lot more sense because if I add the target to the ECU boost in my logs it lines up really close to actual boost. Hhmm.
Interesting. I know they are additive maps but I don't recall the logs needing to actually be calculated to reflect the target column.

Can someone help confirm if this is the case? (I haven't run map 1/2 in a while and could be mistaken)
(#12)
Old

Default 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I know they are additive maps but I don't recall the logs needing to actually be calculated to reflect the target column.

Can someone help confirm if this is the case? (I haven't run map 1/2 in a while and could be mistaken)
Small chance I may have misinterpreted the post. I went back to find the sticky that I read that and found it was actually from the N54 Logging and Parameters meaning. It also stated EWG which I'm PWG. Not sure how much that varies with the N55 logging parameters but looking at my previous logs it almost always added up that way.

I've been back and forth with Ando at Burger for the last few days and today he made some changes and moved me to map 6 and boy what a difference! Car woke right up and pulls way better all the way through the rpm range now. On this map target boost is now reading relatively close to actual boost. I'm sure a few more adjustment will line them up better.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map6.csv (5.7 KB, 5 views)
(#13)
Old

Default 06-23-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Small chance I may have misinterpreted the post. I went back to find the sticky that I read that and found it was actually from the N54 Logging and Parameters meaning. It also stated EWG which I'm PWG. Not sure how much that varies with the N55 logging parameters but looking at my previous logs it almost always added up that way.

I've been back and forth with Ando at Burger for the last few days and today he made some changes and moved me to map 6 and boy what a difference! Car woke right up and pulls way better all the way through the rpm range now. On this map target boost is now reading relatively close to actual boost. I'm sure a few more adjustment will line them up better.
They are the experts for sure. Looks much better from my perspective. They will get you tuned up just right. Glad you're getting to enjoy the car now.