JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old
zse8h zse8h is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M5501
Default 2021 M550i dyno results - 06-22-2022, 03:38 AM

All,

600HP at the wheels running HF Active Autowerk ***, JB4 Map 1, an after market Axelback exhaust, Dual Cone intakes and 100 octane.
Attached Images
 


2021 M550i
Bernina Grey Amber Effect
BMS Elite Intakes
GPower Axel Back High Flow Sport Silencer
Active Autowerke High Flow DwnPips
HardRace rear sway bar and Dinan lowering springs
Barracuda Racing Wheels (Inferno)
JB4 Map 1


Retired:
2009 335xi
Completely Moded out
Beat corvettes - they were pissed
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default 06-22-2022, 01:07 PM

Nice thanks for the share. Is that a Dynojet?

What are your 100-200kmph times like when joining Der Autobahn ?
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Mike_L's Avatar
Mike_L Mike_L is offline
Anti-Social
 
Posts: 2,118
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 06-22-2022, 03:51 PM

Is that corrected? I can’t read the sheet so excuse me if I’m asking about something obvious. 600whp should be right in the neighborhood of 675-680 at the flywheel with the ZF8 and xDrive losses. I’d say that’s pretty damn impressive considering it’s basic bolt ons and not even an M5.


Mike Levy
2022 Black Sapphire X3 M40i
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Pushin' B Pushin' B is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2022
Car: X5 M50i
Default 06-22-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Is that corrected? I canít read the sheet so excuse me if Iím asking about something obvious. 600whp should be right in the neighborhood of 675-680 at the flywheel with the ZF8 and xDrive losses. Iíd say thatís pretty damn impressive considering itís basic bolt ons and not even an M5.

Let's look into those numbers you mentioned considering Burger hit 493 wheel stock with Map 2 taking it to 559 on E20. That would equate to a rough 0.05% DT loss and 10whp per lb boost gain.

Map 1: 4lbs
According to Burger Dynojet in example above would equate to: 533 wheel on 93, 20whp difference from 91 to E20.

An extra 70whp for intakes and 100oct since an axle back only contributes sound?

I've been able to push 26lbs in my M50i with a custom map 6 (accident but logs looked good).

17 peak stock (at least in my logs) on 93oct plus Burger's stock M550i results on 91: Should be 513whp baseline.

+90whp from my 29lbs at 10whp per/lb: 603whp at 26lbs on 93oct

Tell me my 5th grader math is wrong..
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Mike_L's Avatar
Mike_L Mike_L is offline
Anti-Social
 
Posts: 2,118
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 06-22-2022, 09:09 PM

The problem is, each engine is different. They won’t all dyno the same numbers. So ideally, we need a stock dyno run before a tuned one. About the only thing we can be sure of, is that pretty much all of them are making way over 523hp.
Losses from the ZF8 and xDrive system are generally in the 10-12% range according to most. Seems a bit low to me, I’m thinking 12-15%, but they know better than I do.
Either way, without a stock run we can’t really estimate gains.


Mike Levy
2022 Black Sapphire X3 M40i
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
zse8h zse8h is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M5501
Default 06-22-2022, 11:13 PM

Boosted, I am not sure if its a Dyno Jet but the rollers are sunk into the ground if that means anything as to the type of dyno? I have a draggy on order too so I can get those 100-200 soon.

Mike, the numbers are corrected and the tech and I talked about 10% drive train loss that got me to 599 WHP.

To the other poster, am not sure a exhaust does much other then help the turbos get air out faster due to less restriction. Also, I run 100-102 octane and this tank had 50/50 Aral 102 and shell 100 race gas. You didn't mention Pi(pS at all in your post so let not forget about the power those create! Active Autowerke states 20-40 HP based on a tune. If I am at 4 psi or 40 HP over stock 530+40 and then I add 30 for Pi(ps + 30 so those equal 600. Either way my set up is slightly different as I have access to higher octane which helps.

I might try and dial in a map6 tune with maybe 5psi to see if I can hit 610ish. But the tech also talked about transmission slip and recommended I not go higher on power...nothing beyond 620. Maybe he knows something I don't?

I hope this helps level set and helps to understand the situation this car is at to help achieve these numbers.


2021 M550i
Bernina Grey Amber Effect
BMS Elite Intakes
GPower Axel Back High Flow Sport Silencer
Active Autowerke High Flow DwnPips
HardRace rear sway bar and Dinan lowering springs
Barracuda Racing Wheels (Inferno)
JB4 Map 1


Retired:
2009 335xi
Completely Moded out
Beat corvettes - they were pissed
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default 06-23-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin' B
Let's look into those numbers you mentioned considering Burger hit 493 wheel stock with Map 2 taking it to 559 on E20. That would equate to a rough 0.05% DT loss and 10whp per lb boost gain.

Map 1: 4lbs
According to Burger Dynojet in example above would equate to: 533 wheel on 93, 20whp difference from 91 to E20.

An extra 70whp for intakes and 100oct since an axle back only contributes sound?

I've been able to push 26lbs in my M50i with a custom map 6 (accident but logs looked good).

17 peak stock (at least in my logs) on 93oct plus Burger's stock M550i results on 91: Should be 513whp baseline.

+90whp from my 29lbs at 10whp per/lb: 603whp at 26lbs on 93oct

Tell me my 5th grader math is wrong..
Adding boost inst a linear relationship to gaining HP. The first two pounds of boost might give you 30hp, then its gets much hotter, so the next two give you 20hp, then you hit your octane and timing limits, so the next two give you 5hp.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zse8h
Boosted, I am not sure if its a Dyno Jet but the rollers are sunk into the ground if that means anything as to the type of dyno? I have a draggy on order too so I can get those 100-200 soon.

Mike, the numbers are corrected and the tech and I talked about 10% drive train loss that got me to 599 WHP.

To the other poster, am not sure a exhaust does much other then help the turbos get air out faster due to less restriction. Also, I run 100-102 octane and this tank had 50/50 Aral 102 and shell 100 race gas. You didn't mention Pi(pS at all in your post so let not forget about the power those create! Active Autowerke states 20-40 HP based on a tune. If I am at 4 psi or 40 HP over stock 530+40 and then I add 30 for Pi(ps + 30 so those equal 600. Either way my set up is slightly different as I have access to higher octane which helps.

I might try and dial in a map6 tune with maybe 5psi to see if I can hit 610ish. But the tech also talked about transmission slip and recommended I not go higher on power...nothing beyond 620. Maybe he knows something I don't?

I hope this helps level set and helps to understand the situation this car is at to help achieve these numbers.
Its probably making 650hp at the motor, which what an OG M5 makes. So that would be my first question. What does a stock M5 f90 make on this dyno? Then secondly can you run a good 100-200 in line with an M5. If so all is well with the world and your car is storming fast!
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
Pushin' B Pushin' B is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2022
Car: X5 M50i
Default 06-23-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8
Adding boost inst a linear relationship to gaining HP. The first two pounds of boost might give you 30hp, then its gets much hotter, so the next two give you 20hp, then you hit your octane and timing limits, so the next two give you 5hp.
I understand that but in my scenario and question, my log says different with given temp readings and trims near unmaxed. A perfect linear relationship that won't happen again lol.

I'm just curious on sustained whp and target boost levels on this platform to safely hit the sweet spot. No one seems to have an answer on this yet and what would otherwise be detrimental.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default 06-23-2022, 08:29 AM

Well if you question is what's the max boost the turbos can handle? There's a compressor map on the Borgwarner website for those calculations. If the question is whats the best boost for the best performance. Add boost until your dragy times start going the wrong way....
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
phaser's Avatar
phaser phaser is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Join Date: Oct 2020
Car: X5 M50i
Default 06-25-2022, 08:03 AM

Is there a consensus on what a late model M50i, M550i, M850i, (factory claimed 523HP) actually produces at the flywheel?
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default 06-25-2022, 09:33 AM

I've seen between 530 and 550 crank as the most common distribution. They aren't lowballed hard like the M cars.
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
phaser's Avatar
phaser phaser is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Join Date: Oct 2020
Car: X5 M50i
Default Yesterday, 07:19 AM

So in simple terms for the less technical like myself, is it reasonable to assume that an otherwise stock config N63B(late model M50i, M550i) on 93 octane fuel would produce about 600 at the flywheel JB4 Map 1?
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
Boosted_8 Boosted_8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Apr 2021
Car: M550i
Default Yesterday, 09:12 AM

From the data i've seen map one (+4 lbs) with good pump fuel and reasonable air is worth +60 to +70 engine horse power. So yes an easy 600+ at the motor.

The OP is making that at the wheels thanks to Intakes, D0wnP1pes and race fuel.
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
phaser's Avatar
phaser phaser is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Join Date: Oct 2020
Car: X5 M50i
Default Yesterday, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8
From the data i've seen map one (+4 lbs) with good pump fuel and reasonable air is worth +60 to +70 engine horse power. So yes an easy 600+ at the motor.

The OP is making that at the wheels thanks to Intakes, D0wnP1pes and race fuel.
Gotcha, Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright © 2007 - 2022, JB4tech.com