JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i
Default 08-07-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINt Jon
So the best way to explain how all of this works is like this more or less; when you have just a JB4 installed, it controls everything inline with its tunes for your setup. Timing, fuel scalars, boost control, safeties, user features, etc.

When you flash the DME, like with MHD, their tune or bin file gets flashed to the DME and stays there. All MHD timing, fuel scalars, safety options, user features, etc..
Now with MHD alone, you also need some kind of boost controller, MHD alone cannot control boost without a controller, you will need some kind of boost controller. This is where a Jb4 comes into play, or some other brand of boost controller. But of course the Jb4 comes with more than just boost controlling capabilities.
Furthermore, when you flash an MHD map, you have to select which stage of tune you require so stages 1, 2, 2+. Your "stage tune" is relative to what mods your have installed on your car. MHD also needs to know what kind of fuel you are using; E85, ethanol mix, 91-93 octane, etc. Then of course you can flash some other user features like burbles, cold start functions, idle RPM, etc..
That's pretty much it. MHD flash maps don't care if you have twin turbos, hybrid twin turbos, single turbos, bottom mount single turbos, journal bearing single turbos, dual ceramic ball bearing turbos, twin scroll, etc..
It's pretty basic at this point. So this is where the JB4 BEF come into play.

The guys @ BMS were kind enough to give us back end flashes to tailor to exactly what's installed on your car. So if you have a special setup i.e. twin scroll single turbo on full E85, you can now flash that JB4 BEF via MHD so the end user will have a much better tune and control for their setup. With MHD alone, this isn't done. Remember, it fairly basic in flash form. Add a BEF with a tailored tune for your setup with MHD........and now you have a winning combination.

BUT you can take this even further by getting a custom tune for your setup. MHD allows flashing of custom tunes. The custom tunes bin file or flash tune from your tuner remains in the DME and since JB4 is already installed in this example, now the boost maps are controlled via JB4 all while the "custom tune" is in the DME. Now of course with more boost comes differing fuel scalars, timing, etc. but the JB4 handles that.
With custom tunes there are no back end flashes. At this point it's all in your tuner's hands.

Below is how JB4 & MHD work together:

https://burgertuning.com/pages/faq#W...0flash%20tune?

Hopefully this clears things up a little.
I think what xargentum is saying is that why do MHD OTS flash if you're going to go with a BEF from my understanding as well you can only have one or the other so why do one if youre going to overwrite the other. In one of the posts that he is questioning you asked me to flash an OTS and then asked me to do a BEF. That's what raised his question if I'm not wrong.

2009 135i - 6MT - JB4 - BEF - ANTI-LAG - PURE600's - 2" VRSF Inlets - 3.5 TMAP - BMS DCI - Tial BOV - 7" ETS FMIC - CDP - VRSF CDP CEL DELETE - M PERFORMANCE MUFFLER - BC COILOVERS - M3 FRONT CONTROL ARMS - ECS FRONT FLOATING CROSS DRILLED ROTORS REAR CROSS DRILLED ROTORS/HAWK PADS ALL AROUND - SS BRAKE LINES - BMS CLUTCH VALVE DELETE - BMS CLUTCH STOP
(#27)
Old

Default 08-07-2022, 06:45 PM

Quick update, not much has been done since I last replied. I did 60 lbs because its a small compressor. The guy in the video that I saw on your post was doing 50lbs on a similar compressor. Just trying to get a noise or something to happen lol. I definitely have a hand full of things to do before replying back next. The swap of the BOV's did not work out. The blue BOV is in the 135 (car we're diagnosing) and the red is in the daily. (n54 335) I updated the line on the red one with the kit from BMS and just ordered the same kit for the daily as well. I added the SN # for the BOV's just to confirm they are legit.

I also have a vacuum gauge like the one used in the video. Tomorrow I should have no issue in firing up the car and trying it out. Today was very hot here in Philly and I was asked to stop working on the car to spend some time with her. lol. Can't complain she's been supportive but also doesn't want me to rip all my hair out all at once.
Attached Images

2009 135i - 6MT - JB4 - BEF - ANTI-LAG - PURE600's - 2" VRSF Inlets - 3.5 TMAP - BMS DCI - Tial BOV - 7" ETS FMIC - CDP - VRSF CDP CEL DELETE - M PERFORMANCE MUFFLER - BC COILOVERS - M3 FRONT CONTROL ARMS - ECS FRONT FLOATING CROSS DRILLED ROTORS REAR CROSS DRILLED ROTORS/HAWK PADS ALL AROUND - SS BRAKE LINES - BMS CLUTCH VALVE DELETE - BMS CLUTCH STOP
(#28)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 08-07-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINt Jon
So the best way to explain how all of this works is like this more or less; when you have just a JB4 installed, it controls everything inline with its tunes for your setup. Timing, fuel scalars, boost control, safeties, user features, etc.

When you flash the DME, like with MHD, their tune or bin file gets flashed to the DME and stays there. All MHD timing, fuel scalars, safety options, user features, etc..
Now with MHD alone, you also need some kind of boost controller, MHD alone cannot control boost without a controller, you will need some kind of boost controller. This is where a Jb4 comes into play, or some other brand of boost controller. But of course the Jb4 comes with more than just boost controlling capabilities.
Furthermore, when you flash an MHD map, you have to select which stage of tune you require so stages 1, 2, 2+. Your "stage tune" is relative to what mods your have installed on your car. MHD also needs to know what kind of fuel you are using; E85, ethanol mix, 91-93 octane, etc. Then of course you can flash some other user features like burbles, cold start functions, idle RPM, etc..
That's pretty much it. MHD flash maps don't care if you have twin turbos, hybrid twin turbos, single turbos, bottom mount single turbos, journal bearing single turbos, dual ceramic ball bearing turbos, twin scroll, etc..
It's pretty basic at this point. So this is where the JB4 BEF come into play.

The guys @ BMS were kind enough to give us back end flashes to tailor to exactly what's installed on your car. So if you have a special setup i.e. twin scroll single turbo on full E85, you can now flash that JB4 BEF via MHD so the end user will have a much better tune and control for their setup. With MHD alone, this isn't done. Remember, it fairly basic in flash form. Add a BEF with a tailored tune for your setup with MHD........and now you have a winning combination.

BUT you can take this even further by getting a custom tune for your setup. MHD allows flashing of custom tunes. The custom tunes bin file or flash tune from your tuner remains in the DME and since JB4 is already installed in this example, now the boost maps are controlled via JB4 all while the "custom tune" is in the DME. Now of course with more boost comes differing fuel scalars, timing, etc. but the JB4 handles that.
With custom tunes there are no back end flashes. At this point it's all in your tuner's hands.

Below is how JB4 & MHD work together:

https://burgertuning.com/pages/faq#W...0flash%20tune?

Hopefully this clears things up a little.
Ummmm no.
From factory the DME controls boost just fine. MHD OTS reflashes the DME for more aggressive boost and timing etc and still uses DME for control.
There is more but I will leave it at that.
(#29)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 08-07-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xargentum
Hi, whats the point of installing MHD OTS tune with Jb4? If you are going to install BEF anyway?
There is no point. You can run OTS maps and use jb4 for logging and other things, but would NOT run a BEF along with OTS.
(#30)
Old

Default 08-08-2022, 04:00 PM

So I just did the vacuum test and the needle pegged at 30 HG Going to update the settings and go for a drive. I'll put up a log soon.

(#31)
Old

Default 08-08-2022, 05:29 PM

3 logs coming at ya

Tested vacuum as mentioned before and set the values as you requested, also still on map 2. Car pulls hard at certain times and others I get the BOV cycling. Also did a reset to every adaptation possible.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R7_220808_1936.csv (218.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_220806_1721 (3).csv (39.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_220806_1300 (1).csv (48.1 KB, 4 views)

(#32)
Old

Car: E93 335i
Default 08-09-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShiznit
I think what xargentum is saying is that why do MHD OTS flash if you're going to go with a BEF from my understanding as well you can only have one or the other so why do one if youre going to overwrite the other. In one of the posts that he is questioning you asked me to flash an OTS and then asked me to do a BEF. That's what raised his question if I'm not wrong.
You are right